Monday, March 30, 2009

One Example of How Coupons Rock!

If you are wondering how useful coupons really are, especially when you realize how much time it can take to clip and organize them, I hope this example will help convince you of their usefulness.

Publix is one of the best grocery stores in the area. Their everyday prices can be a little high, but their sales are excellent. They do Buy One Get One Free (BOGO) deals on many items every week. Combine a BOGO with coupons and, all of a sudden, you have saved yourself quite a bit of money. Here is my most recent BOGO deal that left me smiling from ear-to-ear.

I love Campbell's Select Harvest soups, but they are expensive -- $2.39 a can at Publix. This week, they have had the Select Harvest soups as a BOGO deal, meaning that each can is technically $1.19/$1.20 a can. A few Sundays ago, there were Buy 2, Get 50 cents off coupons in the Sunday inserts. I clipped a few plus traded for more. I went into Publix today with SIX 50 cents off 2 cans coupons plus a 75 cents off coupon from Target (Publix takes competitor coupons).

So...I bought 12 cans @ 1.20 a piece = $14.40 (before tax). Double the six 50 cents off 2 coupons, which Publix doubles everything up to 50 cents, and now I have 6 $1 off 2 coupons and that 75 cents off coupon from Target, making my coupon total $6.75.

$14.40 (12 cans of soup @ $1.20 a can)
- 6.75 (coupons)
= 7.65 (final cost for 12 cans)

That makes each can about 64 cents a piece. With the BOGO deal plus the coupons, I saved $1.75 a can or $21! Amazing!

Honestly, I still would have bought the soup even if I had not had the coupons, but saving myself almost $7 with the coupons means that I have $7 in my pocket to get toward other items and I have stocked up until the next sale on these soups.

I hope you can find a deal like this one that excites you as much as this one did me!

3 comments:

  1. Great Blog Jennifer! Thanks for sharing the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you organize your coupons? Currently Tom and I have an abhesive photo album that we organize coupons by category (diary, dry-goods, personal items, freezer etc). That way we can see what we have coupons for and the expriation date. It works but I always love to add to save money but keep it simple needs =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH - It is Alicia, I am using Tom's account. And I agree... Publix is awesome with its deals. The penny coupon is one of the highlights of my week. Maybe I need help or something?

    ReplyDelete